TrustyFiles uses a Blocklist as a security measure to protect you from invasive users and bad files. Content owners, marketers, advertisers, and other users can capture your Internet address, monitor
your activity, and insert bogus, misleading, and virus-infected
files into the P2P networks. Review consumer P2P risks.
A blocklist contains the Internet (IP) addresses reported
to be owned or used by such organizations. The TrustyFiles
software blocks these addresses from running searches
or downloading files from your computer. Suspicious organizations
and Internet addresses regularly change. You should update
your Blocklist regularly.
Blocklists are compiled by volunteers for different
uses, such as P2P file sharing, web browsing, and general
firewalls. TrustyFiles has no control over these sites
and lists and cannot guarantee their accuracy or total
The use of a blocklist does not relieve you of your
responsibility to use the software and network in a safe
and legal manner.
TrustyFiles 3.0 contains a blocklist manager with a default blocklist location. To update your blocklist:
- Go to Tools > Preferences > Block List
- Select 'Update'. Give the software up to 30 seconds to connect. If it doesn't connect, click Cancel.
If the update doesn't work, try the following in order.
1. Try Update 2 or 3 times. On occasion there may be a software or server error in connecting.
2. Verify the URL. Click 'Set Url'. The location should be as below. If it isn't, copy and paste the URL in the Set Url dialog box, click OK, and click Update to use the new URL.
The current URL is:
3. Use our archive URL. The direct URL is hosted on an external server we don't control. There may be times when the file is not available. We will occasionally archive the file on our servers. However the archive file will be updated only once a month or two. Update the blocklist archive URL as in step 2 above.
The archive URL is:
4. Manually update the blocklist. Use Manual Update for a custom blocklist, to get the latest blocklist if the current blocklist URL does not work, or as a last resort if step 3 doesn't work.
- Create a blocklist per the format below or download and unzip the blocklist zip file.
- Rename the file to Blocklist.dat.
- Make sure TrustyFiles is shut down.
- Copy or move the file to c:\Progam Files\TrustyFiles\Data\Blocklist.dat
Blocklist Format and Location
The TrustyFiles Blocklist is stored at c:\Progam Files\TrustyFiles\Data\Blocklist.dat (or the appropriate directory if you changed the Program directory). The file uses Peer Guardian format (note this is changed from TrustyFiles 2.4). Here's an example entry line:
General Blocklist Updating
Blocklists may not be totally accurate, current, or available. You should update your Blocklist regularly.
Any changes you've made to your current blocklist WILL BE LOST upon update You should manually record any changes so you can re-enter them after update.